What is primary IDE slave?
Slave is one of two main settings for a hard disk. If you have a single IDE cable, with two hard drives on it one must be set to master and one to slave. The master is the first or primary, hard drive and the slave is the second, or secondary drive.
How do you set IDE to slave?
Set the second hard disk jumper to Slave (use the Cable Select selection if Cable Select was set on the first hard drive). Connect the drive using the Slave connector on the primary IDE cable. Set the CD/DVD drive jumper as Cable Select. Connect the drive using the Master connector on the secondary IDE cable.
Why is my SATA drive not detected?
If your drive is not detected it may be because it is turned OFF in System Setup. Some motherboard manufactures disable unused ports in the BIOS by default. You will need to enter the the BIOS setup in order to verify their current state.
How do I fix my hard drive not being detected?
What to Do When Your External Hard Drive Won’t Show Up
- Make Sure It’s Plugged In and Powered On. Western Digital My Book.
- Try Another USB Port (or Another PC)
- Update Your Drivers.
- Enable and Format the Drive in Disk Management.
- Clean the Disk and Start From Scratch.
- Remove and Test the Bare Drive.
What does an IDE cable look like?
An IDE cable has a red stripe along one edge, like you see below. It’s that side of the cable that usually refers to the first pin. If you’re having trouble comparing an IDE cable to a SATA cable, refer to the image below to see just how large IDE cables are.
How many IDE devices can be connected?
Most motherboards that support IDE (EIDE/ATA) have two IDE interfaces, each interface supports the maximum of two devices. Therefore, you can only have a maximum of four IDE (EIDE/ATA) devices connected to your motherboard.
What is the difference between jumper and slave?
If a jumper connects pins five and six, which are the center pins on each row, it is a master. If the jumper connects pins three and four, which are the pins second to the right, it is a slave.
How do I fix my SSD not detected?
There are actually a few things you can do to fix the new SSD not showing up on your machine.
- Unplug Other Drives From Your Computer.
- Verify The SSD Shows Up In BIOS.
- Use a Live Linux Distro To See If SSD Shows Up.
- Format Your SSD Drive.
- Update Your Storage Controller Drivers.
- Use Hardware & Devices Troubleshooter.
How do I fix SATA port not detected?
Quick Fix 1. Connect ATA/SATA Hard Drive with Another Cable Port
- Reconnect the hard drive with the data cable port or connect ATA/SATA hard drive to another new data cable in PC;
- Connect the hard drive with another desktop/laptop as a second HDD;
Why my hard drive is not showing up?
If your new harddisk is not detected by or Disk Manager, it could be because of a driver issue, connection issue, or faulty BIOS settings. These can be fixed. Connection issues can be from a faulty USB port, or a damaged cable. Incorrect BIOS settings may cause the new hard drive to be disabled.
How do I fix Windows 10 not recognizing my hard drive?
Fixes for No Device Drivers Were Found:
- Solution 1. Switch to a USB 2.0 Port.
- Solution 2. Set the partition where you want to install Windows to as Activeewe.
- Solution 3. Create a New Disc.
- Solution 4. Enable the xHCI hand-off Option in BIOS.
- Solution 5. Change everything to legacy and set the boot device to your DVD or USB.