At what age can a child refuse visitation in Massachusetts?

It’s common for parents to ask at what age their child can decide custody. In Massachusetts, children can’t “decide” where they will live until they are at least 18 years old.

What rights does a father have in Massachusetts?

In Massachusetts mothers and fathers have equal rights in child custody cases. However, when a child is born to unwed parents, fathers have the additional hurdle of establishing paternity in order to assert their rights as a parent. Once paternity is established, fathers may bring a claim for custody of their children.

How do I get full custody of my child in Massachusetts?

To get sole custody in Massachusetts, you can file with the court if you are either going through a divorce or if the child is born out of wedlock. The court system in Massachusetts must be petitioned if you are to gain sole custody.

Can an aunt get visitation rights in Massachusetts?

No there isn’t. As a aunt you have no rights to petition for any kind of visitation for either yourself or your children.

What makes a parent unfit in Massachusetts?

Generally, if a parent neglects or is unable to provide for the needs and welfare of their child, the court may determine that they are parentally unfit. Claims of parental unfitness often arise from situations involving alleged abuse, abandonment, or domestic violence between parents.

Do Unmarried fathers have any rights?

If you are an unmarried father, you will need to establish paternity to prove that you are in fact the father of the child. Without establishing paternity, an unwed father has no legal rights to a child in relation to child custody, visitation and other decision making.

Can grandparents sue for visitation in Massachusetts?

Thankfully, grandparents have a legal right to petition the court for visitation rights as long as they can show that such visitation is in the best interests of the child. Court-ordered visitation for grandparents applies when the parents are: Divorced. Deceased.

Can you go to jail for denying visitation?

File a Motion: If the custodial parent is consistently denying you visitation, you can file a motion requesting updated orders from the court. In contempt proceedings, the court may issue sanctions (fines) or require that the violator serve jail time.

Can a 14 year old choose where they want to live?

There is no fixed age when a child can decide on where they should live in a parenting dispute. Instead their wishes are one of many factors a court will consider in reaching a decision. That time is not attached to any specific age, but is rather the product of maturity and a level of independence.

When do you need supervised visitation in Massachusetts?

There are supervised visitation centers and other agencies that provide supervised visitation in Massachusetts. Supervised visits can be appropriate when the visiting parent has an alcohol or drug abuse problem, or another problem that suggests they could put the child in danger if left alone with the child.

Can you visit an inmate in a Massachusetts prison?

Please use the information in this guide as you visit an inmate in a Massachusetts Department of Corrections prison. On June 1, 2021, the DOC will resume general, in-person visitation. This will be carried out in a way that balances the benefits of visitation with the need for vigilance against COVID-19.

How to file for child custody in Massachusetts?

Learn how to file for child custody or parenting time, what forms you’ll need, and where to file. Either or both parents can file for sole or shared custody in Massachusetts. For information about child custody when you’re not a parent, please see information about caregivers and guardians .

When is the mother the only parent in Massachusetts?

“Permission to relocate… is not required when a child has only one legal parent. Such is the case for a nonmarital child prior to any proceedings to determine paternity or allocate custodial rights. When the paternity of a nonmarital child has not yet been established pursuant to G.L. c. 209C, § 2 , the mother is the child’s only parent.