What does raising the needle jet do?
Raising the needle by lowering the chip position at the top of the needle will richen the mixture. Lowering the needle will lean the mixture. WIDE OPEN THROTTLE: Changing the MAIN JET affects this range. Select the size which offers the best wide open throttle.
How do you tune a carburetor perfectly?
Here’s How To Adjust a Carburetor
- Remove the Engine Air Filter. The air cleaner and filter assembly must be removed for you to access the carburetor.
- Locate Adjustment Screws.
- (Optional): Hook up Vacuum Gauge.
- (Optional): Set Baseline.
- Warm the Engine Up.
- (Optional): Adjust Idle Speed Screw.
- Adjust the Air-Fuel Mixture.
How do you adjust the air fuel mixture on a Mikuni carb?
Adjust the pilot jet, located below the air screw, using the adjustable wrench. The pilot jet regulates the amount of fuel entering the carburetor. Turning the pilot jet to the right lessens the amount of fuel entering the carburetor; turning it to the left increases the amount of fuel entering the carburetor.
What happens if main jet is too big?
For example, using too large of a main jet will cause more fuel to enter the combustion chamber than it can efficiently burn. This will result in a “sputter” at full throttle. It could best be described as a rapid misfire.
How do I know if my main jet is too rich?
If the pilot circuit is rich, the engine will have a rough idle or may not return to idle without “blipping” the throttle. You may also notice a distinct smell of raw fuel and some eye irritation from the exhaust.
How do you fix a rich carburetor?
The 6 main ways to fix a motorcycle running rich are to:
- Adjust the air to fuel ratio.
- Check if the needle is sticking in the carburetor.
- Check for stuck open floats.
- Clean your air filter.
- Check for stuck open butterfly valves.
- Change your O2 sensors if your motorcycle has them.
How do you adjust the main jet on a carburetor?
Carb Quick Guide
- Verify carburetor is set to stock settings:
- Start bike, bring to operating temperature.
- Set idle speed adjusting screw, clockwise to increase rpm, counter-clockwise to decrease rpm.
- Adjust idle mixture by turning idle mixture screw slowly clockwise until the engine runs poorly.
Which is better Mikuni BS32 or 34 carburetors?
The Mikuni BS32/34 family has better parts availability. wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors recommends and sells the more readily available BS34 assembly which works great in almost all applications. First, remove your old carburetors, airbox and carburetor holders. The picture below shows the old airbox and intake manifolds.
What kind of cable does a BS carburetor use?
The BS carburetor uses a single pull cable with different ends than are used on a VM style throttle cable. The following steps will show you how to quickly change out and adjust the cable. Cable adjustment can be done when the carburetors are installed.
What kind of carburetor do I need for MY KZ bike?
Most KZ and Z owners are looking for ways to bump up the performance of their bikes. If you keep an eye on aftermarket carburetor options, you quickly discern that older VM29 and VM33 smoothbore carburetors and modern Mikuni RA Flatslides cost dearly and the prices continue to rise.
How do you Lube a Mikuni BS carburetor?
Don’t put any kinks in the cable as you route it to the rear and it would be a good time to lube the cable with some cable lube. Pick up the carburetor assembly and put the cable end in the small hole in the throttle butterfly and then pull the cable sheath to expose bare cable and put the end in the throttle holder cup.